Building God's Kingdom, Building God's People
In 1884, the Rose Street Baptist Church was
founded, and Reverend Alford Britten was her first pastor. In 1891, Macedonia
Baptist Church purchased property in the same vicinity as Rose Street Baptist
Church, and in 1895, the congregations of Rose Street Baptist and Macedonia
Baptist agreed to merge. With the merger of the two churches, the congregation
decided on the name Consolidated Baptist Church to symbolize their
union. Reverend Joseph Hopewell, who was then pastor of Rose Street Baptist
Church, served as the first pastor of this newly formed congregation.
Following the merger of the two
congregations, Consolidated held services on East Winslow Street in the
building previously used by Macedonia Baptist Church. However, after renting
the property for many years, in 1908, Consolidated Baptist Church purchased the
In 1922, the East Winslow Street property was
sold to Kentucky State College (now the University of Kentucky), and property
on South Upper Street was purchased. Immediately after land was purchased,
Consolidated began construction of the lower level. The congregation met and
held services at various locations around the city. When the basement was
completed, services were held there, and in 1927, Reverend Carey Scott and the
congregation were finally able to worship in the new sanctuary. Thanks to the
dedication of many members, under the leadership of Reverend William Howard,
the mortgage on the building was burned in 1945.
In 1987, Reverend Reginald Van Stephens established the
Great Faith Fund to provide funding for a new facility for worship and study.
As a testament to God's faithfulness, Pastor Stephens' dedication, and the
congregation's commitment, in 1989, God blessed Consolidated with more than twelve
acres of land that were purchased from the University of Kentucky.
After many years of praying and seeking God's guidance, in
2003, under the leadership of Reverend Richard Gaines, Consolidated moved into
a new worship center at 1625 Russell Cave Road. In 2009, the
facilities were expanded, and with these additional resources, we have more
ways to reach and to transform our neighborhood, the greater Lexington
community, and the world.